I feel like now is a good time to share my Medium article with you, as I am no stranger to the art of dabbling. In fact, I recently started dabbling in a new side hustle (all the details are on #Twitter), so I am not immune to trying out different things. However, I realize that in order to achieve my long-term goals or any lasting success, I need to first learn how to master my focus.
This article was originally posted on Medium on April 19, 2023. I don’t have new blog posts because I have been so invested in my side hustle. Don’t be surprised if I cross-post Medium articles for the time being. It is worth mentioning that if you use the following link to read this article and you are already a Medium subscriber, I will earn a small commission. It might be only a few pennies but it’s better than earning nothing at all. This article is behind a paywall on Medium but I want to make it available for everyone to read.
♡ Medium Article: Stop Dabbling and Start Winning at Life
Mastering Your Focus to Achieve Lasting Success
(っ◔V◔)っ Serious Questions: Are you a dabbler? Do you find yourself constantly jumping from one thing to the next, without ever really committing to anything?
If you found yourself nodding in agreement to these questions, then this blog post is definitely for you. It’s time to stop dabbling and start focusing on what really matters.
Dabbling may seem harmless, even fun, at first. You get to try out new hobbies, explore new interests, and network with like-minded people. But here’s the thing — it is actually a trap. The more you dabble, the less focused you become on your life mission. You waste time doing things that don’t really matter and forget about what’s most important to you. After a while, you may start to realize that you’re not really getting anywhere. You’re not making progress, you’re not achieving your goals, and you’re not truly mastering anything.
“Jack of all trades is a master of none.” — English Proverb
The Dangers of Dabbling
Whether you’re a blogger, a Medium writer, or a social media influencer, it’s important to avoid the trap of dabbling and focus on creating quality content that resonates with your audience. Despite my best efforts, I often find myself trying new things and dabbling in various projects, such as running this blog, writing articles for Medium, and recently starting a side hustle on Redbubble. I am all too aware of how easy it is to get distracted by the seemingly more exciting activities life has to offer.
(っ◔V◔)っ You might be dabbling without even realizing it if you’re struggling with any of the following problems:
- Lack of expertise: Dabbling in multiple topics or platforms can prevent content creators from developing expertise in any particular area, limiting their ability to create content that is both impactful and tailored to their specific target audience.
- Lack of focus: Without a clear direction or strategy, content creators may struggle to stay focused and make progress towards their goals, leading to reduced output and a lack of motivation to reach the desired objectives.
- Inconsistent content: Dabbling can lead to missed deadlines, inconsistent content schedules, and a lack of engagement due to an inability to create useful and engaging content that resonates with their target audience.
- Burnout: Constantly switching between topics or platforms can be a major source of stress and frustration, leading to burnout.
- Missed opportunities: When content creators don’t commit to a specific niche or stick to one platform, they may miss out on opportunities to build a loyal following or establish themselves as experts in their field.
(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥ FINAL THOUGHTS ♥
I want to bring awareness to the fact that dabbling in too many different areas as a content creator can be detrimental to your success. You don’t need to spread yourself thin across multiple platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Medium, YouTube, TikTok, starting a Podcast, writing a book, and God knows what else. You have a finite amount of time and energy — remember that.
Experimenting with different things and exploring new interests is an important part of personal growth. However, if you want to make a big impact in your life and reach your goals, it is important to stay focused on the tasks at hand rather than dabbling in a variety of activities. Finally, if you found this blog post interesting, or even if it just changed your perspective on things, please let me know in the comments below ↓ Your feedback really matters to me.
Thanks for stopping by! ❤️
You must be logged in to post a comment.