Disclaimer: Friends No More is based on my personal experience with unhealthy friendships that I have had in the past. This poem isn’t directed towards any one person in particular. It’s a reminder of the pain I went through when someone I cared deeply about betrayed me and lied to my face, ultimately leading to our friendship to come to an ugly end. This poem is 100% original, written by me, and it is bullshit-free. If you like this poem, feel free to check out my other poetry musings here. ✨
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and once again, I seem to find the best Q&As on Deandra’s blog. In case you aren’t familiar with her, Deandra has a lifestyle blog called The Black Princess Diaries (TBPD). This time, blogger Deandra has posted a 20 Valentine’s Day Questions Tag that is sure brighten your day. If you have a moment, I highly recommend taking the time to check out Deandra’s blog for some unique and interesting content.
Today, I’m excited to share my 20 Valentine’s Questions Answers with you. Whether or not you’re into Valentine’s Day, I think these tags are fun for everyone. They were fun for me to answer! Let’s get started, shall we?
1. Have you ever been deeply in love? Yes, and I am still in love 10 years later ❤️
2. Kisses or Hugs? Both, but if I had to choose then I would say hugs 🤗
3. Candy or Flowers? Flowers are a special gift that I don’t get to enjoy very often. While I can buy candy any time, flowers make the occasion even more special 💐
4. Baking or Cooking? Baking because I love sweets! Me too, Deandra. I love sweets too.
5. Do you remember your first kiss? Yes, and it was slobbery and gross.
6. Would you date someone who’s well known for cheating? Although there is an old saying that goes “once a cheater, always a cheater,” it ultimately depends on what kind of relationship you are looking for. For me, no I wouldn’t give them a chance to be in my life. Plus, hookup culture is not as exciting as it sounds.
7. What’s the most important part of a relationship? Communication, trust, and affection are the 3 essential components that can lead to a successful relationship. Without any one of these three aspects, it can be difficult to maintain the bond. I’m a living example of this as I’ve been married for 6 years now. Mark Manson explains the 3 components more clearly in the following article:
8. Red or Pink? Pink! I’m not really a fan of red.
9. Milk, White or Dark Chocolate? White chocolate!
10. Do you believe in love at first sight? It really depends on the context and situation. Can someone fall in love with someone they’ve never seen before just through texting? Yes, it’s certainly possible.
11. Favorite Chick Flick or Romantic Movie? I’m not a huge movie fan, but the one that comes to mind immediately is “50 First Dates.” I think I must have watched it over fifty times.
12. Stay In or Go Out? Although I prefer staying in and relaxing at home, I also like to go outside for occasional walks. Strolling outdoors makes me feel refreshed and joyful.
13. Favorite color of Roses? I’m a fan of not only pink & white roses, but also yellow/orange and multicolored ones. Specifically those interesting options at Costco – you know which ones I mean?
14. Do you leave love notes? I don’t often display my affections through traditional gestures, but I love to send cute text messages, edit images (see image below), and send cards via snail mail 💌 During a particularly difficult time of my battle with depression, my loving husband surprised me with notes that did wonders for my wellbeing. Such thoughtfulness really makes a difference.
15. Do you decorate for Valentine’s Day? Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to put gel-clings on the windows this year as the cat attempted to eat them. Nonetheless, we had some fun while it lasted! Dollaramahas the best Valentines Day decorations.
16. Do you believe it’s possible to fall in love on the internet? Sure, many individuals have experienced this as well, including myself. I used to opt for LDR dating before giving IRL dating a shot. In my opinion, it is like ‘dating with training wheels’ – some similarities with the real thing but it’s not exactly the same.
17. Are you currently in a relationship? I am married, so I’m only interested in platonic relationships.
18. Do you think people who have dated can stay friends? That’s a difficult decision to make. In general, I believe it’s best to move on. Even though I try to consider all possible scenarios and exceptions, it’s not always easy due to the emotional stability needed. It’s understandable that you both broke up in the first place if the emotional stability is not there.
19. What do you notice first about another person? Most importantly, are they friendly?
20. Do you consider yourself romantic? My husband and I don’t believe in over-the-top displays of affection during special occasions like Hallmark Holidays. It is all about how we interpret love and romance. Instead of splurging on costly presents, I’m content with the little acts of love that naturally come with our marriage. Others might find our relationship to be a bit uneventful but I am genuinely happy being married in my thirties, and this is what matters most to me.
You are all welcome to participate in this tag if you would like! If you do decide to participate, I ask that you credit the person who gave you the idea in the first place, whether it is Deandre or myself, or another blogger. Do you agree with my answers? Did any of my answers surprise you? I look forward to reading your replies in the comments section below ↓
It is indeed surprising how quickly February arrived, leaving me with barely enough time to check in with you all. Even so, I recognize the value in pushing forward with my goals and plans, and so, without hesitation, I have created a similar list for the month of January. My mundane day-to-day life has not changed much, but I remain committed to making sure I stick to my routine and achieve what I need to accomplish.
For those of you who have been following me on Twitter, I will continue to add updates of my progress, such as completing a challenging workout or achieving another Duolingo lesson. Additionally, I may post small pieces of creative work, like poems, pictures of my cat, and photos of my favorite beverage lol Twitter is where I tend to open up and share my thoughts. You can follow me via the following link:
If you’re curious about the differences between this month and the last, you will find that it is pretty much the same routine (for the most part). Since I will continue to donate to Amref Health Africa, I left it off from my list of objectives for February. It was kind of like paying a phone bill where these things are automatically renewed. A month ago I put it up to send a message to an annoying spammer who kept pestering me on #Twitter. Following up with reporting him and blocking three accounts he had, things are better now. As I have no shifts on the Gen-Med unit this month, I chose not to include it in my goals either.
January Goals 2023
Continue to pick up day and evening shifts
Catch up on emails and work on MLL courses
Bid on shifts for February as they become available
Work on the MLL courses. # of completed modules TBD
Publish 1-2 blog posts + monthly goals/recap blog posts
Publish 1-2 articles on Medium + share articles on blog
Keep tabs on doctor’s appointments/pending appointments
Daily Duolingo practice 🇩🇪
Treadmill on days I am not working + upload progress on Twitter
And there you have it! As you can see, my goals are similar to January. Ideally, I am hoping to get fitter so I can wear my pre-pregnancy jeans again. I lost a bit of weight last month but I don’t own a scale. I go by how my clothes fit and my clothes are starting to fit a lot better. During the month of February, I’m keeping my focus on fitness, along with career and personal goals (of course). My goal is to shed some belly fat so that I can wear my jeans by mid-March.
I am curious to know what your goals are for the month of January. Feel free to let me know in the comments section below ↓ Also, I would really appreciate it if you followed me on Twitter (@serene_hilz), that is, if you aren’t already a follower. It is so hard to grow on that platform but I really do enjoy using it to connect with like-minded bloggers.
It’s already the end of January 2023 – seriously, where did the time go? When you work on weekends, it can seem like months are passing by three times faster than normal….It can often feel like only a few days have passed since your last weekend. This phenomenon makes it easy to believe that time is indeed an illusion, as this concept supports that belief.
I didn’t work for the first half of January but I worked a decent amount during the second half of January. If you ask any of my friends and family members who I interact with on a regular basis outside of work, they would tell you that I’m rarely ever around from Friday to Sunday. When I’m not sleeping, I’m usually working or studying for some exam thing. During the weekdays, I have typically been more active online and while this has recently become less frequent due to my ever-growing list of tasks, I still strive to spend as much time online as possible. A hectic schedule can make the days seem to fly by, but it’s also easy to feel overwhelmed. To keep up with all my obligations, I’ll be writing monthly recaps – this helps me stay accountable and take a look back at what I’ve achieved.
Seeking Clarity ✨
Looking back on the month of January, I am incredibly proud to have accomplished a handful of my planned goals that I had set out for myself at the start of the new year. I am doing my best to take life one step at a time and not get overwhelmed by the pressures of looking ahead to multiple months at once. Additionally, I have been facing issues with indecision lately, however, I am expecting February to be the month that brings me clarity and the ability to make the right decisions.
JANUARY GOALS 2022
Do not miss any work days this month I’m proud to say that I didn’t miss any work days this month, despite being ill right at the beginning of January and having to spend New Year’s Day in bed. Nonetheless, I was able to make it back to work mid January and ended up completing a total of 9 shifts! I’m really pleased with myself for managing to do this against all odds and staying productive.
Get comfortable with working on new Gen-Med unit Out of the nine shifts I have had so far, six of them were spent on the Gen-Med unit and I am gradually getting more and more comfortable working there. Although I am still not confident with the new admissions and discharges process, I have faith that with a bit of practice and determination, I will eventually master this skill as well.
Catch up on emails and work on MLL courses I still have more than 30 modules left to finish by March 14th, 2023. Although I wish I could have been more productive with the MLL modules, I am determined to maintain pace and catch up on them before the deadline approaches. I hate doing things last minute.
Start bidding on shifts for February as they become availableYes, I eventually decided to put in a bid for two day shifts. Although I am not overly excited about working days, I will get through it…. but first, steeped tea lol Day shifts can be incredibly hectic and chaotic at times, but they can offer plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.
Publish 1-2 blog posts per month Writing has taken a backseat this month as I’m busy with exercises and language lessons. It’s not that I’ve lost interest in writing, but rather that I just don’t feel as compelled to create unique content currently. This month, I posted the following blog posts in case you missed them. I guess parodiesare fun? You be the judge.
Publish 1-2 articles on Medium + share articles on blog So far, I have only shared the What Do you Hope to Accomplish in 2023? article on my blog. However, the other Medium articles that I did publish are not necessarily focused on blogging but rather reflect a more broad range of topics and opinions. Do you really care about what I think about the “Follow 4 Follow” Method on Medium? Probably not, right? Thought so!
Keep tabs on doctor’s appointments/pending appointments This seems to be an ongoing cycle that never ends, and even though I initially planned to share the details of my new planners for 2023, I haven’t been able to get around to it yet. For now, I am making do with a basic $4 Dollarama planner which does get the job done; but eventually when time allows it, I will upload a picture of the Posh Habit Tracker Planner that I recently bought.
Monthly donation to Amref Health Africa For the past twelve months, I have been regularly donating to Amref and have no intentions of stopping anytime soon. I hope that by supporting their good cause, I can help make a difference. Moreover, anyone who attempts to pester me for donations on #Twitter will be reported and blocked without hesitation.
Daily Duolingo practice 🇩🇪 I have managed to form an impressive habit of sticking to my Duolingo practice this month. Additionally, by leveraging the advice from YouTube videos and Reddit forums, I have also figured out an ingenious way to get unlimited hearts without needing to purchase the Super Duolingo subscription. The leagues have been occupying a lot of my time lately; I was able to dedicate 10+ hours to learning German last week! This app is proving to be quite useful for me, so I will continue using it!
Treadmill on my days off + Accountability I was successful in maintaining a consistent routine throughout the month of January. Despite being slightly under the weather at the start of the month, I was back on my feet and on the treadmill in no time. On my days away from work, I made sure to allot at least one hour for exercise on the treadmill, doing a minimum of 300 calories burned and at least 3.2 miles/hr. I realized however, that this strict schedule might not be sustainable for the long-term as I have a tendency to quit.
Track water intake on Water Llama app I am terrible at consistently tracking my water intake, no matter how hard I try, unless I am always conscious of it and track it 24/7. Sadly, I could have done a much better job of monitoring my water intake if I was more diligent about it.
Track steps on Pikmin Bloom app The nice thing about this app is that it syncs with the step-counter on my iPhone, which also syncs with my Apple Watch. This app only works when I am carrying around my phone though, and I don’t want to be a slave to having my phone in my pocket all day. I upped my step count for the month of February – more on this later.
Healthy/clean eating 80% of the time Although I’m quite conscious of my diet, I still indulge in unhealthy snacks. To make sure my lifestyle is balanced, I opted to reduce the amount of fast food intake, particularly from McDonald’s. Additionally, I abstained from purchasing donuts at Tim Hortons.
And there you have it! Do I feel more confident and positive about myself? Absolutely! Did I successfully achieve the goals I had set out to do in the month of January? Yes, indeed! Will I continue this positive trend of setting monthly goals for personal growth and development? Definitely! Will I be posting a Monthly Goal Blog Post for February? Potentially. It is likely that it will be similar to my January list as my goals have not changed.
Finally, if you want to drastically improve your life and have been procrastinating on setting New Year’s Resolutions, goals, etc., then I highly recommend that you take some time to read What Do You Hope to Accomplish in 2023? I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to read this article, as it can be a key factor in jumpstarting your journey towards achieving all the goals you set for yourself and making meaningful progress towards creating a better life for yourself, starting now.
Did you achieve your January goals? Please let me know in the comment section below ↓ Also, if you’re not already following me on #Twitter (@serene_hilz), I’m tracking my progress and you can get real-time updates about my journey there!
You must be logged in to post a comment.